At Fowey lifeboat station the following awards have been made:
Framed Letter of Thanks 1
Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum 1
Bronze Medal 1
Silver Medal 10
Gold Medal 1
1826 A Gold Medal was awarded to Lieut Else RN for rescuing eight crew from the ship Providence wrecked off Polkerris.
1829 A Silver Medal was awarded to Chief Officer Coastguard Thomas Crosswell for rescuing five crew from the sinking seine boat Diligence.
1856 Silver Medals were awarded to Coastguard Captain Norcock RN, Thomas Henwood and Richard Jones for rescuing the only survivor of the wrecked schooner Endeavour.
1859 A lifeboat station was established at Polkerris. At various times the station has been known as Polkerris, Fowey, or Polkerris and Fowey.
1865 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain Joshua Heath for rescuing 13 crew from the barque Dryden and nine men from the brigantine Wearmouth stranded at Par Sands during a hurricane.
1893 Silver Medals were awarded to William Robins, Edwin Robins, George Bishop and Frederick Perring for rescuing the two crew from the capsized boat Dieu Protégé.
1906 A Silver Medal was awarded to William Penrose for his attempts to rescue the crew of the wrecked brigantine Mary.
1922 The RNLI established a lifeboat station at Fowey and the lifeboat was kept afloat. The station at Polkerris closed.
1928 The station’s first motor lifeboat arrived was placed on service.
1947 A Bronze Medal was awarded to Coxswain Joseph Watters for rescuing the seven crew from the motor vessel Empire Contamar near the Callyvardour Rock in Par Bay.
1958 The Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Assistant Mechanic J Turpin who swam ashore from the lifeboat to assist two people cut off by the tide.
1959 A Centenary Vellum was presented to the station.
1987 A Waveney class lifeboat was placed on service.
1995 The all weather lifeboat was placed on new moorings upstream from the quay.
1996 An inshore lifeboat (ILB) station was established in August with a D class lifeboat and a new launching davit for the ILB was installed.
The Waveney class lifeboat was withdrawn and replaced by a Trent class lifeboat.
1997 The station’s new D class lifeboat, D-526 Olive Herbert, was placed on service.
1998 New crew facilities were built along with new housing for the D class lifeboat.
2003 A Framed Letter of Thanks was awarded to Helmsman Marius Lewis for rescuing three adults and four children cut off by the tide and in difficult surf conditions at Silver Mine beach.
2004 A new pontoon berth was completed
2006 A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution was awarded to Coxswain Keith Stuart in recognition of the contribution made by him and his crew when the Fowey ALB assisted in the service to the m/v Galina
2009 150th Anniversary of Fowey Lifeboat Station - Click here to read more...